Wentworth Tourism

Cycling & Walking

14. St Ignatius Catholic High School

Cadell Street Wentworth

Catholic schooling began at Wentworth on February 8, 1892, when the Sisters of Mercy answered the Bishop’s call to come to the town at the junction of the Darling and Murray Rivers. St Ignatius, a wooden structure located in the convent grounds, was built in 1911 and was the first Catholic High School in the area. The building was used in the 1940’s as the infant section of the St Francis Xavier School in Short St. and was eventually closed to the public at the end of 1950. The little school-house was restored by the National Trust and in February 2002, the school building was listed as a local historic building on the State Heritage register.