Wentworth Tourism

Regional Drives

9. Customs House

Darling Street Wentworth

The Customs House was constructed in c1884, replacing the first Customs building (constructed in c1864 and situated on the west side of the Darling River, near the bridge). This building remained an integral part of the busy Port of Wentworth up until the decline of the river trade in the 1890s. A Custom Officer was still operating from this site in 1912. It is now a private residence and during 2001, a commemorative plaque was placed on the house by the Australian Customs Authority.